Ultimate Grilling Guide
Summer has finally arrived and you know what that means - it’s grilling season! Even though you may not be able to currently hold a full-fledged BBQ due to social-distancing guidelines, you can still enjoy grilling out for yourself and the fam.
THE STORY: We’ve rounded up the best grilling tips available to help you become your family’s Grill Master this summer season. While you might be familiar with some of these, there should be a few new ones to up your grill game!
GRILLING TIPS 101:
1. Remember to make sure your grill is level when you set it up for the first time, so food doesn’t roll around.
2. Don’t use lighter fluid! Chemicals in the lighter fluid can change the flavor of your food and make it taste not so great.
3. Cold meat on the grill is a no-no. Bring it up to room temp first so it will cook quicker and more evenly.
4. Lower the heat! Cooking food over too high temperatures can dry the food out. If you can hold your hand over the grill for 4 “Mississippi’s”, you should be good.
5.The best time to clean your grill? When the grates are still warm (NOT hot!). You can scrape anything on the grates off into the fire with a spatula, then use a wire brush to get the rest.
6.Want that deep, wood-smoked flavor? Plank grilling is the way to go. Simply place food on a wooden board and set over indirect heat. Usually, you’ll find this method used with cedar planks + salmon, but you can use it on almost any meat.
7.Using wooden skewers? Soak the skewers in cold water for approximately 20 minutes before using them to prevent burning.
8. If you’re looking for a bit of an extra kick to your meats, try grilling lemon or lime wedges for about 2 minutes on each side, then squeeze over fish or poultry. You’ll find it adds a slight smokiness (and is delicious!).
THE WRAP-UP: We admit it makes summer a bit less fun when you can’t hold neighborhood BBQs and the such, but you can still make a homemade grilled feast for the family with these great tips. And if you’re really not in the mood to grill, you can still enjoy all that grilling has to offer with Westchester Picnic Company. With locally sourced ingredients containing no preservatives or trans fast and a plethora of food choices, you’ll be eating delicious BBQ-style without all that work in no time!